My Story, My Song is the heartwarming memoir of 88-year-old Lucimarian Tolliver Roberts, mother of Good Morning America coanchor Robin Roberts. It details pivotal moments in Mrs. Roberts’ intriguing life, revealing how faith in God has given her strength and hope.
Good Morning America viewers have come to know and love Lucimarian Tolliver Roberts. For many, the heartfelt connection began the day after Hurricane Katrina blew through the Gulf Coast. They watched as Robin stood among the remnants of her hometown and talked about her desperate search for her elderly mother, who had ridden out the storm in her Mississippi home.
Once she knew that her mother was safe, Robin admitted she was not surprised to learn that even as the winds howled and floodwaters rose, Lucimarian Roberts sang hymns.
Today Lucimarian Roberts can recite the lyrics to hundreds of hymns and spirituals. She credits hymns with helping her, a black woman born in 1924, live faithfully through the turbulent times of the Great Depression, the ugly years of segregation, and the loneliness and constant moves that came with being married to a U.S. Air Force officer.
Robin writes, “Folks are drawn to Mom’s humility, wisdom, and spirituality.” Reflections from Robin on her mother’s life and faith cap each chapter.
Now you will be able to gain insights from Lucimarian Roberts’ amazing and intriguing life. “God has brought the most wonderful and sometimes the most unlikely people, of all ages and races, into my life to encourage and guide me on this spiritual journey of life,” Mrs. Roberts says with bright eyes. Clearly, she still is singing her song.
Highlights of My Story, My Song include
- Inspiring stories of how a mother’s love and character affect generations to come
- An 8-page insert of family photos
- A tribute to the power of hymns and music to lift the heart out of loneliness and grief
- Honest childhood stories of poverty and alcoholism and the strength to overcome
- Insight into life as an African American during segregation and beyond
- Examples of the powerful influence of mentors and role models
- Encouraging stories of aging with grace
- Reminders of the impact of integrity, character, and love
You will be uplifted by this memoir of a woman who has faced the best and worst of times with faith, dignity, and grace.